This is a decadent variation on traditional chocolate fudge. This recipe make 4 1/2 pounds total, so it could easily be divided between 2 gift tins.
I used my Easy Homemade Fudge Recipe as the base and then added melted caramels and pecans in the center and topped it with another layer of fudge.
This recipe is not very difficult, but it does require a bit of organization beforehand to make everything flow smoothly. Be sure to have everything measured and have all of your equipment, including greased pan or tins, ready before you start.
- ¾ cup butter
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 12 ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 jar of marshmallow cream (7 ounce jar)
- 12 – 16 oz. caramels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1½ cups pecan pieces
- Place the caramels and water in a microwave safe bowl. When the temperature reaches ~200 degrees on the fudge mixture, place the bowl of caramels in the microwave and heat on high for a total of 3 minutes. Stir after each minute interval. Once melted, stir in pecans. Set aside.
- In a large pot combine the butter, evaporated milk, and sugar. Cook over high heat, stirring continuously until the mixture reaches 234 degrees (use a candy thermometer to keep track of the temperature). Remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate chips until they are completely melted and completely mixed in.
- Add vanilla; stir well.
- Stir in marshmallow cream until it is completely mixed with the chocolate.
- Pour half of the fudge into a greased pan or serving dish. Spoon the caramel pecan mixture over the fudge. Spoon remaining fudge over the top.
- Place in the refrigerator for approximately 2 hours to cool.
This recipe is part of The Week of Handmade Gifts.