You’re moving off to college and your dorm room will be your first home away from home. You will want to create a space that will show off your personal style and reflect your own personality. No need to worry about matching your roommates decor, decorating a dorm is more about showing off your own creativity.
It’s a fact that dorms are much more like a prison cell than a home. Dorm furniture is limited and is not known for it’s contemporary design. Instead it can be rather drab in style leaving you questioning if you can really pull off a stylish dorm room or not. By being creative and following these simple ideas, you will be to be able to turn your dorm from drab to fab
7 Easy Ways to Decorate a Dorm Room
1. Go bold or go home! Use bright and bold contemporary colors like mustard yellow, turquoise, or coral.
2. Show off your trendy side by using contemporary prints such as a morracan or chevron in your decor accessories.
3. Snuggle up to trendy bedding. Using a bold color and pattern in your bedding is one of the best ways to add interest to your room.
4. Light up the night with hanging LED paper lanterns. Not only do they come in different colors, shapes, and prints, but paper lanterns are inexpensive, adding the fun factor to your room.
5. Deck the walls. There are many ways to add color and pattern to your walls without painting. Decorate walls by using removable wall decals, removable wallpaper, hanging fabric, or even using duct tape . Duct tape is used today in many DIY projects and crafts. It comes in many patterns and colors and can easily be used to create a focal wall. Try adding stripes or chevron to your main wall to add more drama to your dorm room. Don’t be afraid to go bold on your walls.
6. Pad your tush! Rugs are a great way to add color and texture to a room. Rugs will also be useful an for additional sitting area for all of those late night chats.
7. Do it yourself! There are many DIY projects that are easy and inexpensive that are sure to show off your own creativity.
- Create an inexpensive bulletin board. Recreate and Decorate has an easy to follow tutorial.
- Create your own DIY wall art, Recreate and Decorate gives several fast and frugal ideas for making your own wall decor.
- Make your own headboard like the one from All things thrifty.
- Create a no-sew fabric scrap valance.
Decorating a dorm can be challenging for many students, however there are many ways to create a space that will allow you to feel at home. By using these easy tips, you will be able take your dorm room from drab to fab in no time flat.
More Frugal Decor Ideas
- How to Make Chalk Paint
- 5 Tips for Perfectly Painted Furniture
- 10 Ways to Repurpose Old Suitcases
- How to Decorate Furniture with Decals
- DIY Vintage Dresser makeover