Do your children love dinosaurs? Dinosaur figurines can invite your children into hours of creative play, and this dinosaur fossil play dough can enhance their imaginations even more. You can make your own dinosaur fossil play dough, perfect for pairing up with your child’s dinosaur figurines. With this play dough, your child can enjoy making their own dinosaur fossils and feel like real paleontologists! Here is how you can get started.
Dinosaur Fossil Play Dough
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of table salt
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 tablespoon of basic vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar (find this at your local grocer with the other spices)
- 3-6 drops of blue food coloring
- 3-6 drops of red food coloring
- Pinch of black or silver craft glue
- Assorted plastic dinosaurs (We found these at Dollar Tree)
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, salt, oil, water, and cream of tartar. You want to mix the ingredients well until a soft dough forms. If your dough feels sticky, add a teaspoon of extra flour. If it feels dry, add a teaspoon of oil. Continue mixing until you get the consistency of play dough.
2. Next, add the drops of both the red and the blue food coloring. As you mix you will notice the gray color start to form.
3. Knead the dough until the color is evenly dispersed. Once it is, sprinkle your glitter on top and work it into the dough.
4. Now, form the dough into round rock shape in your hand.
To make your fossils, have children press parts of the dinosaur figurine into the dough. As they remove it, the shape will be stamped into the dough!
Children will love pressing the dinosaurs into the dough over and over again. Each time they create a fossil and want to start a new one, all they need to do is roll up the dough into a ball and start again.
This dinosaur fossil play dough is a great way to pass time on a rainy, snowy, or simply boring day! Gather your supplies and give it a try!