Are you baking pies this holiday season? If so, use these 7 Hacks for Baking the Perfect Pie. They will look amazing with these helpful tips!
One of the stars of Thanksgiving dinner isn’t just the turkey, it’s the pies! Pies are one of the best parts of the meal and a perfect way to end dinner on a sweet note. If you are baking pies this holiday season and want them to be as close to perfect as possible, take a look below at 7 Hacks for Baking the Perfect Pie. When you give these pie hacks a try, you will no doubt wow your guests!
7 Hacks for Baking the Perfect Pie
1. Make sure your dough is room temperature. When you are ready to roll out your dough and fit it to the baking dish, it should be room temperature. Otherwise, it could have a hard time adjusting to fit the form of the dish. It also won’t stretch as well and could pull apart. Instead, let the dough sit and warm up just a tad before putting it to use.
2. Use tinfoil to prevent burning. Do the edges of your pie cook faster than the inside contents of the pie? Then you want to protect those edges with tinfoil. Once the edges are golden brown, remove the pie from the oven and wrap tinfoil on the edges. Put the pie back in the oven to finish. The tinfoil will help protect those golden edges.
3. Cookie cutters can do the decorating for you. Ever wonder how pastry chefs get such gorgeous designs on their pies? Save some pie dough and roll it out, then cut out shapes using cookie cutters. Layer the shapes over the top of the pie so you get the perfect design without a ton of effort.
4. Get out your costume jewelry. If you want a simple looking pie but want the perfectly crimped edges, pull out your baubles! Get out a costume jewelry piece such as pearl necklace or other round bead piece. Press it to the edges of the pie so it makes the perfect crimped design into the dough. Remove and presto! Easy crimping!
5. Don’t skip the egg wash. Egg wash is one of the steps people skip then wonder why their pie isn’t golden and glowing. Mix one egg and a splash of water to make your own egg wash, then take a pastry brush and brush it over the pie crust. It adds so much color to the crust and makes it light and flaky.
6. Save time by freezing pies. If you want homemade pies but are afraid there won’t be oven or counter space on Thanksgiving Day, you can make them and freeze them. Many types of pies will freeze nicely, so feel free to make your pie a week ahead of time and then freeze it. You can take it out to thaw Thanksgiving morning.
7. Don’t forget the pie bird. A pie bird was a small ceramic bird that was placed over a hole in the center of the pie. It would allow air to escape via the bird’s beak, so the pie didn’t bubble over and make a mess. You can still buy pie bird funnels via Amazon so your pie can breathe while it cooks and you avoid a leaking mess. Grandma knew how important it was to use one, you should too!
When you give these 7 hacks for baking the perfect pie a try, you can wow your guests with the perfect dessert that will no doubt compliment their meal.