During this hectic time of year it is important for me to plan easy recipes to fall back on. This simple recipe comes together quickly and is a lower fat alternative to Chicken Parmesan: no frying or breading! This is a one pan meal, which is nice when it comes time to clean up.
I keep the price of this meal low by taking advantage of leftover spaghetti sauce, using homemade croutons (the croutons cost even less if they are made with homemade bread) and leaving out the Parmesan cheese. Gasp! Chicken Parmesan without Parmesan cheese? Absolutely, my kids don’t like it, so I save money by using inexpensive mozzarella, which they do like.
- Add a splash of olive oil to the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Spread it around with a basting brush. Place chicken in pan. Sprinkle with basil, oregano, thyme, and garlic powder. Flip the chicken and then sprinkle with spices.
- Pour the spaghetti sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle one cup of cheese over the spaghetti sauce.
- Layer the croutons over the cheese.
- Sprinkle one cup of cheese over the croutons. Then sprinkle basil, oregano, and thyme over the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 1 0 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
I serve Baked Chicken Parmesan with a Garden Salad.
What are your easy fall back meals?Yum