Jami from LOVAstyle.me is sharing a healthy alternative to a traditional recipe.
This dish was inspired by a recipe in one of my favorite “kitchen” books, Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. I wanted to take a gluten free twist on her original dish. My first attempt to substitute actual spaghetti with a spaghetti squash, I ended up with a pie plate full of soup. After a couple more attempts the dish finally turned out the way I envisioned and here it is.
- 1 Small Organic Spaghetti Squash (about 1½ - 1¾ pounds)
- ½ Ground lean turkey
- 2 Cloves of Garlic finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ Cup of pureed organic broccoli
- 1 Egg white
- 1-2 Cups of organic tomato sauce or your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 Cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 Cup of shredded mozzarella
- Extra Virgin Pure Coconut Oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. Wash spaghetti squash and slice in half. Scoop out the seeds then lightly coat the edges with coconut oil. Place flat side down on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, in a medium bowl mix ground turkey, garlic, parmesan cheese, pureed broccoli and egg white. Form small meat balls and fry in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown.
- Light coat 9 inch pie plate with coconut oil. Cover bottom of pie plate with desired about of tomato sauce then add a layer ricotta cheese over top.
- When the spaghetti squash has cooled enough to handle, squeeze out any juice then scrape out inside using a fork. Layer squash over ricotta cheese. Place meatballs on top, drizzle tomato sauce then shredded cheese over dish
- Place pie plate on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
This is a healthy meal full of nutrition and veggies. The broccoli pureed meatballs gained approval from my finicky 10 year old. I recommend you use as much organic produce as possible to reduce the consumption of pesticides and preservatives.
I hope you and your family enjoy this dish.
Jami Bauer-Locricchio is a Pilates and Barre Instructor in southeast Michigan and an Independent Consultant for Arbonne International. She shares her fitness and wellness tips online to encourage people to achieve their “Life of Vitality and Agility” on LOVAstyle.me. You can find Jami on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google+.
This post is linked to Hearth and Soul Hop, Gluten-Free Wedensday, and Allergy-Free Wednesdays hosted by Tessa the Domestic Diva, Gluten Free Pantry, Real Food Allergy Free, The Tasty Alternative, The Willing Cook, Gluten Freely Frugal, Whole.New.Mom.