You will often see apple pie spice listed as an ingredient on recipes for apple pies and crisps. Apple pie spice is just a mix of several spices. I refuse to pay extra for a spice mix when I can make it myself. Just like Pumpkin Pie Spice, you can make apple pie spice with ingredients from your spice cupboard.
Apple pie spice is a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and occasionally cardamon. Cardamon is an expensive spice. I almost always have it on hand though because I use it to make Homemade Chai Tea. But even though I almost always have cardamon on hand, I usually leave it out. That is the beauty of homemade spices mixes – you can tailor them to suit your taste.
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon cardamon (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
More Homemade Spice Mix Recipes:
- How to Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
- How to Make Poultry Seasoning
- How to Make Seasoned Salt
- How to Make Italian Seasoning
- How to Make Taco Seasoning Mix
- How to Make Herbs de Provence
- How to Make Chipotle Seasoning Mix