This evening I shared my recipe for Minestrone Casserole on $5 Dinners. When I was making it I decided I wanted some kind of topping and since so many people add croutons I decided to add bread crumbs. Of course I didn’t have any, but that usually doesn’t stop me. I did have some stale bread in the freezer, so that is what I used. When making bread crumbs, I actually prefer starting with frozen bread, because it is easy to grate so it cuts out the middle step of making croutons.
- Enough frozen bread to equal 1 cup of crumbs ( I used 1 gluten-free sub roll)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grate frozen bread over a small bowl. Don’t worry if you have a few pieces that are a little bigger.
- Add spices to bread crumbs and mix well.
- Spread the crumbs over a large cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until the crumbs and dry and slightly brown.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Don’t have frozen bread? You can always make croutons and then place them in a plastic bag and crush them or put them in a food processor and grind them up.