For a barbecue, and as part of a #FreshFinds sponsored post for Collective Bias, I made this Mojito Melon Salsa using watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, and grapes from Save Mart.
While many are mourning the end of summer, I am doing a happy dance because it is melon season! Melons are at the peak of freshness right now, so I have been picking up melons each time I go shopping at Save Mart.
I love melons! I could, and have, eaten a whole cantaloupe for lunch and then had watermelon for dessert. So when it was my turn to come up with an appetizer for a barbecue, making a salsa with my favorite fruits seemed like a natural choice.
Kitchen Tip: When you cut up watermelon and other melons, put your cutting board inside a cookie sheet to keep the juice from getting all over the counter.
Mojitos are flavored with lime and mint. I used the zest and juice of one lime and 15 mint leaves to create the unique mojito flavored dressing.
In addition to melons, I added cucumbers, grapes, and green onions to the salsa. It is a sweet salsa, but the green onions give it a slightly savory touch.
- 1 cup watermelon, diced
- 1 cup cantaloupe, diced
- 1 cup honeydew, diced
- ½ cup cucumbers, diced
- ½ cup grapes, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 15 mint leaves, shredded (extra for garnish optional)
- Add the diced watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, cucumbers, and grapes to a medium bowl.
- Add the lime zest and shredded mint leaves.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice and sugar. If necessary, drain some of the juice from the bowl of fruit and add it to the lime juice to help dissolve the sugar. Pour the lime dressing over the fruit. Toss to thoroughly coat.
- Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with chips.
Yes, it is absolutely acceptable to serve watermelon for every single course, including dessert! You can find more recipes using peak season fruit on Save Mart’s Pinterest Boards.
My children have been going through organic grapes as fast as I have been going through melon, so I have been popping into Save Mart Supermaket quite a bit lately. I have a S.H.A.R.E.S. card, which allows me to donate a percentage of each shopping trip to my favorite charity. If you shop at Save Mart, pick up your S.H.A.R.E.S. card so you can start donating a percentage of your purchases to your favorite charity too.Yum