I love sweet potatoes, but I don’t like Candied Yams with Marshmallows. At all! So I buy fresh sweet potatoes instead.
This recipe for pumpkin pie spiced sweet potatoes is very easy to assemble. I wash and chop the sweet potatoes – I don’t bother with peeling them. I season them with pumpkin pie spices and cook them so that they are a little crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
You will find sweet potatoes on sale at your grocery store in the fall. I found sweet potatoes for .99¢ a pound. Four medium sweet potatoes weighed about 2 3/4 lbs. which came to $2.73. I had all the other ingredients on hand. So for less than a can of yams and a bag of marshmallows I was able to make a sweet potato side dish that serves 10 – 12 people.
This recipe calls for a little apple juice. It adds a little sweetness and depth of flavor to the dish. Confession: Once I didn’t have any apple juice on hand, but I had some sparkling cider that I was planning on serving with dinner and I used that instead. You can replace the apple juice with white grape juice, pear juice, or orange juice if you wish. If you don’t have any juice on hand, just use water. The recipe is very forgiving.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, washed a cut in bite size pieces
- ¼ cup apple juice (or water)
- 2 tablespoons butter (or coconut oil to make this dairy-free), melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (How to make pumpkin pie spice)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spread the sweet potato pieces in a casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, combine apple juice, melted butter or coconut oil, sugar, and spices.
- Drizzle spice mixture over the sweet potato. Toss to ensure the sweet potatoes are thoroughly coated.
- Cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until fork tender.
More Sweet Potato Recipes:
- Chai Spiced Sweet Potatoes
- Pumpkin Pie Spiced Sweet Potato Fries
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Cauliflower
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon Honey Glaze
What is your favorite way to eat sweet potatoes?Yum