I love, love, love roasted potatoes made with onion soup mix. The problem is store bought onion soup mix contains gluten. I had to give up my beloved roasted potatoes until I started exploring the possibilities of making substitutes for some of my favorite items from scratch.
I actually have come to enjoy making my own convenience mixes at home. I make a month’s worth at a time which cuts down on prep time on busy nights. And in addition to being healthier, they are much less expensive than buying commercially prepared items. Below the soup mix recipe, I give directions for how to use the mix to make roasted potatoes, which is incredibly easy!
- 8 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Mix ingredients well. Use as the recipe calls for or store in an air tight container for up to 6 months.
Once I have made dry onion soup mix, I can make Roasted Potatoes:
- 2 pounds of potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 T. olive oil
- 3 T. water
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- In a large bowl, combine oil, water, and onion soup mix. Add chopped potatoes and stir until well coated.
- Place potatoes in a 13 x 9 baking pan and cook at 425 degrees for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
More Homemade Spice Mix Recipes:
- Poultry Seasoning Mix
- Herbs de Provence
- Chipotle Seasoning Mix
- Seasoned Salt (or Herbamare Substitute)
- Italian Seasoning Mix
- Taco Seasoning Mix
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
Do you have any favorite “convenience” foods? Do you make your own spice packets ahead of time, rely on store bought seasoning packets, or cook from scratch each time?Yum