Occasionally, when life is really busy, or just plain crazy, I cheat and doctor a cake mix rather than cook from scratch. I would rather have company over and serve them an easy dessert, rather than not entertain at all.
When the cake mix brand that I like goes on sale, I will buy a few packages and stash them in the pantry. I do the same with my favorite brand of pudding. Knowing that I can easily throw together a dessert makes it easier for me to say yes to entertaining no matter what else is going on in my life.
This Mocha Fudge Bundt Cake is adapted from my Easy Triple Chocolate Cake recipe. Last month, I was planning on making a chocolate cake for dessert after I came in from my late afternoon ride. During my ride, I fell and hit my head and had a concussion (I was wearing a helmet, so I was not too severely injured). Since I was advised to stay awake, I decided to go ahead with my plans to bake and added coffee to both the cake and the glaze. ‘Cause that how cowgirls roll.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (I used a package of Pamela’s Chocolate Cake Mix to make this gluten-free)
- 1 3.8 oz. package of instant chocolate pudding
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup coffee
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounce package of chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter (or df margarine), softened
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons coffee
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a bundt cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, coffee, and vanilla. Beat for 5 minutes at medium speed.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour into greased and floured* Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 – 50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean .
- Cool in Bundt pan for 5 minutes, then invert onto a serving dish.
- Once the cake has cooled, mix glaze ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat on high for 2 minutes.
- Spoon glaze over cake and let sit until it firms up.
More Doctored Cake Mix Recipes:
This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.