My son loves numbers! One day after reading his favorite counting book, Chicka, Chicka 123, I helped him create his own apple tree for the numbers to climb. He really enjoys doing art projects based on his favorite books, so while it is not fancy, it was lots of fun, easy, and inexpensive.
We just made a rough cut out of a tree that he glued to a piece of paper with a glue stick. He did his best to cut different color circles to use for apples. Then he drew numbers “climbing” the tree. If he did not like trying to write numbers so much, I would have given him number stickers to use.
Since my son likes numbers so much I asked him if he wanted to help me create a list of his 10 favorite counting books. He had a hard time reducing his favorite books about numbers to 10, but here are his final selections:
1. Chicka, Chicka, 123 (After we read this book, we flip to the last page and count to 100.)
2. Fish Eyes (This teaches the concept of +1.)
3.One Naked Baby (This could be a biography of my son.)
4. Ten in the Bed ( Sweet book that my kids have all enjoyed acting out.)
5. Miss Spider’s Tea Party: The Counting Book
6. One Duck Stuck
7. Ten Little Rubber Ducks (introduces the concept of 1rst, 2nd, 3rd, etc)
8. Mouse Count
9. Ten Little Dinosaurs
10. Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree (All Little Monkey books have been banned at one point in my son’s life. Consider yourself warned.)
What are your favorite counting or number related books? Do you have any favorites that I have missed?
Disclosure: I have linked the books to amazon, where I am an affiliate, so you can read a description if you wish. However, I encourage you to check these books out at the library, since your child might not turn out to be quite as numbers obsessed as my little guy.