With so much media out there now, it’s easy for any of us to feel the crunch to compare ourselves to others and want more and more. Kids are no different. For a parent, it can feel like it’s getting harder and harder to instill values like gratitude. There are many things you can do to raise grateful kids, however. This DIY Thankful Jar for Kids is one of them.
This fun jar is a reminder for kids to look around and feel blessed. It allows you to help your kids reflect on the things they are thankful for. When they need a reminder because they are having a particularly defeating day, it’s something you can pull out and go through to bring a smile back to their face. While this is a perfect activity for Thanksgiving, it is a good reminder all year long. You may even feel so inspired, you will want to make one for yourself, too!
DIY Thankful Jar for Kids Tutorial
- jar of choice
- assorted wide wood craft sticks
- craft paint in choice of color (choose a lighter shade such as orange or yellow)
- sharpie marker
- fall color/pattern ribbon
- hot glue, glue gun
1. Begin by applying two coats of paint to each stick. Allow them to dry thoroughly.
2. As they dry, cut the ribbon that will be used to decorate the top of the stick. Each piece will be about 1 inch in length. Use a variety of colors and patterns to add some interest to the piece.
3. Once the sticks are dry, you can wrap the ribbon around the tops of each. Just wrap, add a dab of glue, and allow to dry.
4. Take the marker and write something you are thankful for on each stick. You can do one stick per day leading up to Thanksgiving if you wish or do them all at once. Share them on the days leading up to thanksgiving.
Optional: You can embellish the jar with ribbon or twine of your choice. Finish the Thankful Jar by placing all of the sticks inside of the jar for safe keeping.