Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. On the first day of fall I start thinking of and planning for Thanksgiving. Even with cooking a feast, it is easier than other holidays – there are no gifts to buy, cards to address, or costumes to make. And perhaps that is why it is easier to count our blessings!
The month before Thanksgiving I spend reading stories of the pilgrims to my children, doing crafts, and encouraging an attitude of gratitude. Just starting the day by asking my kids what they are thankful for over breakfast goes a long way to remind them of how blessed they are.
When my kids reach an age where they can write well, I encourage them to keep a gratitude journal. I give them a small notebook and ask them to write down 3 things they are thankful for each day. The things they are thankful for range from hysterically funny to heart warmingly sweet.
I like to add a healthy dose of fun craft projects to the serious history lessons and discussions of our many gifts and blessings. Listed below are 15 fun and easy crafts that you can do with kids in the days leading up to Thanksgiving.
15 + Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids
- Gratitude Tree Activity – Use tree branches and a vase to create this tree.
- Mason Jar Turkey – Make an adorable turkey with a mason jar and felt.
- Flower Pot Saucer Turkey – Use a clay saucer and ribbon to make this cute turkey.
- Fall Leaves Placemats – Perfect for using at the kids table on Thanksgiving.
- Brown Bag Thankful Tree – Use a paper bag to create the tree.
- Turkey Fruit Snacks – These make a great kid-friendly snack.
- Thankful Jar – Let the kids make these then take turns sharing what they are thankful for.
- Paint Chip Turkey Puppet – After the kids make this puppet, they can use it in a Thanksgiving puppet play.
- Nature Painting Activity – Let the kids have fun painting with leaves and pine cones instead of paintbrushes.
- Turkey Pumpkin – Use a pumpkin as the base for creating a turkey.
- Faux Flower Turkey Craft – Use fall leaves as the feathers on this turkey craft.
- Napkin Decoupage Pumpkins – these look turn out fancy enough to become part of your fall decor!
- Pine Cone Turkeys – This is an easy turkey craft project!
- Groovy Gobblers – A creative way to make festive turkeys.
- Stained Glass Leaves – Make these fall leaves using tissue paper.
- Autumn Cork Painting – This is a fun way for kids to create fall trees!
- Mod Mayflower – This is a fun craft for school age kids.
- Edible Play-dough Turkeys – just in case a little one still puts things in their mouth.