Do you have children who love to paint and get artsy? These DIY paint brushes are a cool and unique spin on traditional paintbrushes. Plus, they are a great alternative should you find yourself wanting to paint and have no paint brushes on hand. Take a look at how you can craft your own set of DIY paint brushes, so the next time the urge to paint hits you are ready.
DIY Paint Brushes for Kids
- Assorted wooden clothespins ($1 at Dollar Tree stores)
- Washi tape in choice of color ($1 at Dollar Tree stores)
- Assorted fillings such as a pom pom, moss, leaves, ribbon rick rack, pipe cleaners, and anything else you can find! If it fits in the mouth of the clothespin, try it.
1. Begin by decorating the base of your brushes. To do this, apply a strip of washi tape to the clothespin. Just cut a piece to fit, press it to the clothespin, and smooth it out with your finger. Cut off any excess.
2. Next, add the “brush” portion to your clothespins. To do this, simply snap the item into the mouth of the clothespin. You may need to fold or bunch the item up first before you do. You want it to be secure inside of the clothespin, so if the item seems to be lose just add a dab of glue.
3. Your DIY paint brushes are now ready to be used. Place some paint on a plate or piece of paper and dip your brush into it. Then, touch the brush to your paper. You will notice that each paint brush makes it own unique imprint!
The best part about these DIY paint brushes (aside from the fact that you can create them from scraps) is that clean up is easy. When done, simply release the insert into the trash. You can then keep the base of the brush (the clip) and use it again and again. Try a variety of inserts and see how many different designs you can make!
These DIY paint brushes are a fun way to get creative with your kids. Gather your supplies and give them a try!