CVS has a great awards program. As with most stores that offer deep discounts to rewards program members, there are ways to really use it effectively to get things for very low cost or even free!
First of all, you will need to sign up for the CVS rewards program, called “CVS ExtraCare”. To sign up for the Rewards program, go to this link. Please note, according to the rules, you can only have one membership per household. Next, you will need to understand how the rewards work. Then, I will show you how to use them to maximize your savings with some insider tips.
What is the CVS ExtraCare Rewards Program and how does it work?
The ExtraCare rewards program offers members coupons, discounts and the ability to manage prescriptions. Just head to the kiosk “coupon center” available at CVS and get coupons added to your card and begin shopping. What is better than not having to clip coupons to save?
In addition to the discounts you will enjoy, you can get rewards to use in the future for later purchases. These are called “ExtraBucks” and can add up quickly if you make purchases regularly at CVS.
You can use your ExtraBucks on any future purchase EXCEPT the following items:
- Tobacco or alcohol
- Gift Cards
- Lottery tickets
- Money orders and pre-paid cards
Also, you will not get cash back when you use your ExtraBucks rewards and they must be used in one trip, so it is not like a gift card with many trips allowed. If you choose to use your ExtraBucks, make sure you get stuff that is equal to or just over the amount of ExtraBucks you have.
Insider Tips for using the CVS ExtraCare Rewards program:
1. ExtraBucks expire 4 weeks after they are accumulated, so when you plan to get them, also have a plan to use them quickly so you don’t miss out on them. This can be done by looking for coupons and sales.
2. You can stack coupons! CVS allows you to use one manufacture’s coupon AND one CVS in store coupon per item so pair a manufacturer coupon with a store coupon on the items you are purchasing to maximize savings. Visit the CVS Coupon Matchups Page to find coupons that you can use on CVS sales this week.
3. You can get ExtraBucks with online purchases through the CVS website as well.
4. Combine your CVS ExtraBucks with coupons if you can, to get the most out of your savings.
5. Make sure you sign up for discounts and coupons to be emailed to you so you can add them to your card before you make a shopping trip. If you don’t add them to your card, they cannot be used., similar to if you forget a coupon at home and can’t use it at the checkout. To sign up, click here. You will often get a discount just for signing up!
6. If you do not use a government funded prescription plan, you can get ExtraBucks for filling prescriptions at CVS, so consider this when using or finding a regular pharmacy.
7. CVS has an mobile app that you can load directly to your phone allowing you to manage prescriptions, upload photos to the photo center, and redeem savings and rewards.