I shared my Mocha Fudge Frosting recipe almost 6 months ago, but like with my Gluten-Free Chai Spiced Cake, I forgot to share the recipe for the cupcakes after sharing the frosting recipe. Oops! Again!
My family has long loved my Mocha Fudge Frosting, but I always served it on top of chocolate cake. It wasn’t until we went gluten-free and I had a hard time finding a gluten-free chocolate cake that I liked that I started using coffee to mask some of the flavors from the flours. I finally created a gluten-free chocolate cake that I think tastes amazing and doesn’t need coffee to improve the flavor, but my family has now become so accustomed to having coffee in their chocolate cake that they still request it.
I modified my Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake recipe to make my Gluten-Free Mocha Fudge Cupcakes. I have included times for making a 2 layer cake and a 13×9 cake in the directions. After the cupcakes are cooled, top with Mocha Fudge Frosting.
Gluten-Free Mocha Fudge Cupcake Recipe
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon guar gum (or xanthan gum)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup oil
- 1½ cups piping hot coffee
- 1 teaspoon gf vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 – 9 inch pans, a 13 x 9 pan, or line 2 cupcake pans.
- In a large bowl combine white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, guar gum, and sugar.
- Place cocoa in a small bowl. Pour the hot coffee over the cocoa.
- Add oil, eggs, and vanilla to the cocoa mixture.
- Add the liquids to the flour mixture and beat for 2 –3 minutes on high.
- Pour batter into 2 greased 9 inch cake pan. Bake at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes (30 - 40 minutes for a 13 - 9 pan and 18 - 22 minutes for cupcakes) or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack to cool. Once cooled frost with Mocha Fudge Frosting.
I used my Norpro Cupcake Decorating Set to top the cupcakes with frosting.
More Gluten-Free Cake Recipes:
- Gluten-Free Cola Cake
- Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake
- Gluten-Free Hummingbird Bundt Cake
- Gluten-Free German Chocolate Cake with Dairy-Free Topping
If you have a loved one with Autism, Asperger’s or somewhere on the spectrum, you will be touched by this song: Reach for You…A Song for Autism: