Does the sight of rain make you think you are doomed to spend the day indoors? It shouldn't! There are actually quite a few activities that you can enjoy with your children outdoors, as long as you don't mind getting a little wet. Take a look below at 25 Rainy Day Activities for Kids, making the most of a wet day!
Please note, that if it is lightning you will not want to be outdoors. These activities should only be done during light rain where lightning and thunder are not present. Now let's get started!
25 Rainy Day Activities for Kids
1. Have a rain parade. Put on your best boots, grab an umbrella, and march out in the rain singing your favorite songs.
2. Have a splashing contest. Find the perfect puddle and see who can jump in and make the biggest splash.
3. Make a rain gauge. Take a cup and place a ruler inside. Secure it with tape. Place it in the rain and see how much you can collect.
4. Examine rain drops. Catch rain drops on a plate and look at them under a magnifying glass.
5. Go on an animal hunt. Put on your rain coat and go in search of animals that come out to enjoy the rain.
6. Make some rain music. Take some tin foil, a plastic dish, a glass dish, and other various materials out into the rain. Listen to the different sounds the drops make hitting the surfaces.
7. Enjoy a book outdoors! Take your umbrellas and a blanket to sit on and enjoy a book outdoors.
8. Catch raindrops. Go outside with a shallow dish and try to catch as many drops as you can.
9. Watch items melt. Place a sugar cube or marshmallow on the pavement and watch how it melts when the rain hits it.
10. Pretend you are melting! Let the rain hit you and put on your best “I'm melting!” dance.
11. Wash your bikes. Use the rain as water to wash and rinse your bikes.
12. Try making mini rain barrels. Put out containers to catch the water and use to water plants.
13. Make colored rain water. Catch as much rain water as you can and add food coloring to dye it.
14. Find out what sinks and floats. Take items such as a paper clip, rock, and cork to a puddle and see what sinks and what floats.
15. Make rainy day art. Add a few drops of paint to paper and let it sit in the rain for a few minutes. What what happens!
16. Have a water balloon fight. You are bound to really get wet!
17. Put on your bathing suits and run through the rain. It is just like a sprinkler!
18. Take plastic bags and try slipping and sliding on the wet grass.
19. Take plastic dinos and cars outside to let kids give them a good wash.
20. Go on a nature hike. Put on your favorite rain coat, grab an umbrella, and go.
21. Take various fabrics samples out into the rain to see if the liquid will be absorbed or repelled.
22. Try a wet game of volleyball or basketball.
23. Go on a hunt for worms. They love coming out on a rainy day!
24. Pretend you are wilted flowers coming to life after a long rain.
25. Give kids scrub brushes and other fun tools and let them wash the sidewalk and porch. You will be amazed at how much they love stuff like that!
See how much fun playing in the rain can be? Give these 25 Rainy Day Activities for Kids a try and see all of the fun you can experience.