Advent calendars and activities are always a great addition to the holiday season.
DIY Advent Calendar Ideas
A way to help tide children over for the made event or teach children the meaning of Christmas. The perfect opportunity to enjoy small indulgences. This year for Advent find a new something fun to try and bring something fresh to the table for Advent.
Fun advent calendars you can build.
- Book Advent calendars are very popular right now because they are fun and exciting for the entire family to enjoy. The foster a love of books and reading in a way that is bound to make each day more fun and exciting while you wait for Christmas to come. Spice it up a bit by adding coupons to the books for things like watching a Christmas movie or having hot cocoa, baking cookies, or another special treat. Here are tips for creating a book advent calendar.
- If you want to build your own DIY advent calendar you can use plastic cups, tissue paper, and rubber bands to create a base for your very own advent calendar. Hide fun treats inside whether it be candy, small toys, or something fun for the entire family.
- Mini stockings that you can find in multi-packs at your local dollar store are tons of fun for your own Advent celebration. Make a garland of them and place a coupon or gift card in each one to go with each day. Be sure to add fun little things like a coupon to make cookies, or play a new game as a family. Your Advent doesn't need to cost anything beyond what you already have in the house.
- If you would like to tie your Advent into your Christmas tree small gift boxes on the tree look like beautiful ornaments and make the perfect hiding place for fun advent surprises. This is a great option for families with older children that can safely search the tree for each number box without knocking it down.
Advent Calendar Activity Ideas
- Bake cookies to hand out to loved ones.
- Visit someone that may be lonely.
- Create a paper chain
- Make Paper Snowflakes
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen or food bank.
- Have a game night
- Sip hot cocoa
- Make holiday cards to send to soldiers
- Make ornaments
- Make popcorn balls
- Take a walk to see Christmas lights
- Drive around to see Christmas lights
- Invite friends and family over for a potluck
How to make any Advent season memorable
Advent is a time of fun and celebration for busy families to come in together and enjoy every bit of the season. So often we lose track of the meaning of the holidays as we focus on shopping and gifts. To make your advent season memorable look for ways to serve others, bring your family closer, and make simple memories that last a lifetime. You do not have to get fancy or spend a lot of money to create loving traditions with your family this year and every year to come. Keep the focus on having fun and building memories your family will be happy to look back on rather than on more stuff in your home.
Alternatives to Elf on a Shelf
Many people use Elf on a Shelf to countdown to Christmas with their kids, but there are alternatives that do not involve a naughty elf such as The Kindness Elves. If you are looking for a Christian alternative to Elf on the Shelf, check out our Heart of Christmas which focuses on Jesus throughout the advent season.