An Advent wreath is the perfect way to celebrate the weeks leading up to Christmas. When you use an Advent wreath, you light one candle per Sunday until Christmas, with the final candle being lit on Christmas Day. In order, you light two purple candles first, then a pink on the 3rd week, and then you finish off with purple on the fourth. The pink candle reminds us that it is almost time to celebrate the birth of Jesus, while the other candles remind us to stay in prayer. An Advent wreath can be displayed on your dining room table, or anywhere you wish to celebrate the Advent season. It can be easy making your own child friendly Advent wreath and in fact, you can make one using Dollar Tree supplies. Take a peek below at how we created this Advent Wreath Craft for Kids in under 30 minutes. It is perfect for celebrating the Advent season with little ones.
Advent Wreath Craft for Kids
- Mini door wreath
- 4 battery operated votives
- Pink and purple ribbon
- Hot glue, glue gun
As I mentioned, I could find all of the above items at Dollar Tree with the exception of the ribbon. While you can find pink and purple ribbon at Dollar Tree, I had some on hand from Michael's Craft store. This had a bit of a shimmer to it which I liked.
- Begin by removing any excess decor from the wreath. I left the ribbon on but took off any extra swag.You can do the same or leave as you wish.
- Cut a length of ribbon to wrap around each votive. Cut to fit and secure to the candle with glue.
- Continue wrapping the votives in ribbon, creating 3 purple candles and 1 pink candle.
- You can now start applying the candles to the wreath. Place a dime sized amount of glue under the candles BUT NOT OVER THE ON/OFF SWITCH. You need to be able to access this. Just apply glue to the opposite end. Then, press them to the wreath. Hold in place firmly until they have attached well.
You can now use your Advent wreath for kids! Just slip your finger underneath to flip the switch on the candle. You can light one week at a time and enjoy all four candles lit up on Christmas Day!
Get into the spirit of Advent with this easy Advent Wreath Craft for Kids!