Felt is easy to work with because it cuts easily and doesn’t fray. It is the perfect material for this DIY Felt Pumpkin Playset. Kids will love coming up with all sorts of silly faces to stick to their pumpkin!
Felt is a great material to use for making playsets for kids because it ‘sticks’ when you put two pieces of felt together lightly. It allows you to make faces, dress-up dolls, and so on. It kind of reminds me of those Colorform playsets I had as a kid. They were great because they were simple and portable.
Since Halloween is on it’s way sooner than you would believe, why not make a fun jack-o-lantern felt playset that kids can have fun with this fall? It’s the fun of getting to put a funny face on a pumpkin without the mess! Here are some instructions on making your own DIY Felt Pumpkin Playset.
DIY Felt Pumpkin Playset Tutorial
- orange, green, and black felt
- large round lid or bowl to trace the shape of the pumpkin
1. First, start by using the pencil to trace a large circle on the orange felt (see photo).
2. Cut out the orange pumpkin and set aside.
3. Use the scissors to cut multiple stems from the green felt. Have fun with it. I cut out a rectangle, square and more.
4. Lastly, use the scissors to cut out face shapes for the pumpkins. I cut out a few triangles and circles for eyes and a nose and then a few fun mouth shapes. (see photo).
5. Have fun with the shapes. I didn’t use any patterns and simply cut shapes as I went along. The kids loved it.
You can store your felt pumpkin playset in a sandwich baggie or a small box with lid. They are also great to store in a hard plastic travel wipes container for on the go fun.