The idea of combining mashed potatoes with cauliflower has been around for a while, but I recently discovered a recipe on City Share which combined celeriac with potatoes to create Celeriac and Potato Mash. Celeriac is actually the root of a celery plant and has a mild celery flavor. I thought it would make a flavorful addition to Mashed Potatoes and Cauliflower.
The celeriac has very thick skin, but I was still able to get most of it off with a potato peeler.
The mashed potatoes are flavored with sauteed Onions and Garlic. I added a little olive oil and vegetable broth, to create a lower calorie, dairy-free savory dish.
- 6 medium potatoes, diced (peeling optional)
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 1 celeriac root, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion ( I used red, but any will do)
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- pinch of salt
- dash of pepper
- Add potatoes, cauliflower, and celeriac to a large pot of boiling water. Boil until they are all fork tender, approximately 15 minutes. Drain.
- While the potato mixture is draining, add a tablespoon of oil, onion, and garlic to the pot. Saute until the onion becomes soft. Remove from flame.
- Add potato mixture to the onion mixture and the rest of the oil and vegetable both and mash.
- Add more vegetable broth as necessary to achieve desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe make a lot. You can halve it, but we enjoyed the leftovers later in the week.