If you are a long time reader you know I am a pretty big football fan. Since my favorite football team is over 6 hours away, we have to Home Tailgate. Home tailgating has its advantages. When I home tailgate, I don't have to pack all of our food and then try to assemble it in inclement weather . It also means I can get a little fancier with the food I serve.
For instance, I can make a southwest shrimp salad to help offset the heavier dips and dishes that I serve during halftime.
I start by coating shrimp in taco seasoning and the cooking it for a few minutes. Then I combine it with greens, tomatoes, cheese, and peppers.
Then I top the salad off with my spicy honey-lime dressing.
The salad comes together in a short amount of time, leaving me plenty of time to decorate the house in my team's colors.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 - 2 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 - 8 cups mixed lettuce leaves
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into strips
- ½ half cup red onion, diced
- 1 avocado, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 jalapeno peppers, deseeded and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- juice and zest of one lime
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 - 3 teaspoons taco seasoning mix
- In a small bowl or cruet, combine the sour cream, lime juice, lime zest, oil, honey and taco seasoning. Stir or shake to combine. Place in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Place the shrimp in a container with a lid. Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the shrimp. Place the lid on the container. Shake to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over a medium flame. Add shrimp to the pan, making sure they lie flat and do not over lap. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the side touching the pan starts to turn pink. Flip the shrimp and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the shrimp to cool.
- In a large bowl combine lettuce, peppers, onion, avocado, and tomatoes. Add shrimp and cheese.
- Just before serving, pour dressing over the salad and toss.
Your favorite pizza brands, Tony's®, Red Baron® and Freschetta® are kicking off Tailgate at Your Place!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Red Baron. The opinions and text are all mine.