I never buy pumpkin pie spice, because it is so easy to make at home, plus I can tailor it to suit my preferences. Many holiday recipes call for pumpkin pie spice, so I mix up a small bottle of it. Then I can just dip in and pull out a teaspoon as needed. Once you are familiar with the ratios, you can easily wing it by adding a bit of this and that until your spices equal the quantity the recipe calls for.
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- Add the spices to a spice jar. Put lid on and shake vigorously to mix.
I also use Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix to create delicious Sweet Potato Fries.
Reusing Spice Jars
I grow a lot of my own herbs and spices, but I can’t grow them all. When I do buy spices, I try to buy them in glass jars, so that I can reuse the jars.
1. Soak your spice jar to remove the label.
2. Remove the cardboard from the cap (try not to throw it out until after you have traced it).
3. Run the jar and cap through the dish washing machine.
4. If they still smell like spices after being washed, soak them in a bowl of water with a 1/4 cup of vinegar added to it. Then run them through the dishwasher again.
5. Trace the cardboard insert, or if you have tossed it, trace around the outside of the lid.
6. Cut on the inside of the line. Press cardboard into lid.
7. Screw the lid on the jar. I use leftover Christmas tags to label the jars.
Do you make your own spice mixes?