I started talking to my son about food at a young age. When your child has Celiac Disease, it is especially important for you to talk not just about food groups, but discuss the ingredients in foods. He had to learn early not only that he couldn't eat gluten, but which ingredients contain gluten. Many adults still don't know that wheat, rye, and barley contain gluten or that rice, tapioca, and lentil flour do not. I can't always be with him, so he has to know what it is safe to eat when he is at a friends house. As soon as he could read, I had him start reading labels so he could play an active role in maintaining his gluten-free diet.
Like most 7 year olds, he loves Macaroni and Cheese! It's no surprise that he was the first to spot the Horizon Gluten-Free Macaroni & White Cheddar Cheese when our grocery started carrying it. He asked if we could try it and I was more than happy to let him. There really aren't that many gluten-free convenience foods available and every once in a while this mom needs a break! Since my daughter and I also love mac and cheese, I brought home several boxes for us to try. We didn't wait long to make it. My son offered to help me make it for lunch that same day. It was creamy, delicious, and oh, so easy!
Recognizing an opportunity, I decided to leverage my son's love of Macaroni & Cheese to slip some beans and vegetables into his diet. I used the remaining boxes of Horizon Gluten-Free Mac to make a Gluten-Free Chili, Macaroni and Cheese Casserole.
While the macaroni noodles are cooking, I made an easy chili recipe. Once the chili was done, I poured it into a casserole dish.
Spread the cooked Macaroni & Cheese over the chili.
Sprinkle the shredded cheese and green onions over the top of the Macaroni & White Cheddar Cheese. Place in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the shredded cheese melts and starts to bubble.
This quick and easy chili, macaroni and cheese casserole turned out to be the perfect comfort food for a cold winter evening!
Gluten-Free Chili, Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
- 2 boxes Horizon Gluten-Free Macaroni & White Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, deseeded and diced
- 1¾ cups or 15 oz. can cooked black beans, drained
- 1¾ cups or 15 oz. can cooked kidney or pinto beans, drained
- 1¾ cups or 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ cup of shredded cheese ( I used white cheddar and mild cheddar)
- tops of 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the macaroni noodles according to the package directions.
- While the noodles are cooking, brown the hamburger in a large skillet with the onion and peppers.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, and spices. Cook over medium high flame until it reaches a boil.
- Lower heat and let the chili simmer while you finish making the macaroni and cheese using the milk and butter as per the package directions.
- Pour the chili into a 9 x 12 casserole dish. Spread the macaroni and cheese over the top of the chili.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese and green onions over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the shredded cheese has melted.
For more quick and easyrecipe ideas, follow Horizon's Mealtime Solutions Pinterest Board and Horizon's Facebook Page.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organics. The opinions and text are all mine.