My children will eat anything with pumpkin in it. But my youngest son is crazy about pumpkin! He actually requested pumpkin pie for his birthday instead of a birthday cake. So I decided to use my old pumpkin bread recipe to make a gluten-free version for him. He has generously agreed to share with his parents and siblings. Which is nice of him since this recipe only makes two loaves. 😉
While I was adapting my old pumpkin recipe to make it gluten-free, I decided to make a few other changes, to make it just a little healthier. I reduced the sugar by 2/3 cup and we didn’t miss it. I also replaced the oil with applesauce, which I think makes for a lighter bread.
- 1¾ cup pumpkin puree ( or 15 oz. can)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup applesauce
- 2 tsp. gf vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, vanilla and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together.
- Divide Dough between two greased 8 x 4 loaf pans. Bake 40 –50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
For more gluten-free recipes visit Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Gluten-Free Wednesdays.