Use these holiday hacks to make the holidays easier this year.
This is one of the most stressful times of the year and you may have heard of “life hacks” (aka simple things you can do that make life easier), so think of these as your holiday hacks and welcome an easier holiday season.
8 Holiday Hacks to Make the Holidays Easier
1. If you have poinsettias that you bought somewhat early in the excitement for decoration and now have clumps of the blossoms falling off, use them to dress up your Christmas dinner table. Just drop them in shallow glass dishes with some water as floating blooms.
2. Going out to a last minute party and your nails look not as presentable as you wish they were? Just use some glitter polish over them. It is quick and subtle and if you smudge it, it is far less noticeable.
3. Decorating cookies and tired of struggling to fill the piping bag? Try this trick that many chefs and bakers do: Place the bag pointy side down in a tall glass and pull the edges over the glass. Now, simply spoon in the frosting. Here’s how to make the fluffiest frosting ever!
4. If you are shipping gifts, but worry they will break, give your loved one a double treat by popping some popcorn and placing it in small bags around your gift. It works better than any other packing material to keep things from breaking.
5. To keep your poinsettias lasting longer, start saving tea bags. When you have 5 or 6, steep them again. Cool, (but don’t chill) this second brew and water your plant with it. The tea has extra nutrients that will keep it blooming and strong. Here are more tips for caring for poinsettias.
6. If you have wrapping paper from last holiday in your storage or closet, you know how annoying it can be to keep it nice looking and not unraveled. Try cutting the leg off an old pair of pantyhose or tights and place your paper inside. Tie off or use a rubber band to secure.
7. Doing a lot of baking is fun, but you may ruin your recipe cards with all the liquid, butter and flour flying. Place your recipe cards in a plastic zippered sandwich bag and then simply wipe clean.
8. Don’t buy gift cards at full price this year. Did you know you can get them 20% off or more by going to websites such as giftcardgranny.com, cardpool.com and giftcardrescue.com ? Not only can you buy discounted cards, but you can also sell those ones you got last year that you don’t intend on using.