Nothing says Christmas is coming like a sweet Nativity set. You don’t have to spend tons of money to buy one; in fact, you can make the perfect little Nativity set right in your own home. Take a look below at how we crafted this DIY Flower Pot Nativity Set, perfect for displaying under the Christmas tree this holiday season. You only need a few supplies, and a couple of little hands to help. Here is how you can get started.
DIY Flower Pot Nativity Set
- 3 terra cotta flower pots (we chose a smaller, novelty size)
- 3 wooden doll heads (2 medium, 1 small)
- Assorted felt
- Hot Glue and glue gun
With the flower pots only being .59 each and the felt sheets only .29 each, our total cost for this project (with heads added in) was a mere $6. Should you already have some of these supplies on hand, your total will be even less.
1. Begin by turning two of your flower pots over. Add a generous amount of glue to the flat top. Press the larger doll heads on top of the glue. Press in place until secure and dry. These will be your Mary and Joseph dolls.
2. While those dry, begin working on your baby Jesus. Cut a strip of felt and wrap it around the small doll head. Secure it in place with a few drops of glue. Tuck the wrapped head into the third flower pot. Set aside.
3. Now you can finish your two larger dolls. Cut lengths of felt into 2 inch wide strips. Wrap them around the dolls. For Mary, we wrapped the strip over her and secured it with glue on the underside of the pot:
5. For all three dolls, take a pencil and make small semi circles for eyes.
Your flower pot Nativity is now ready to be displayed. This is such a sweet and simple way to portray the Holy Family, and is a Christmas craft your children are sure to love. Give it a try!