We are harvesting several cups of cherry tomatoes every day. A couple of Early Girls are ripening each day and it won’t be long before we pick our first Roma tomatoes. When we are over run with Early Girls and Romas, I make and can spaghetti sauce and salsa. I freeze a lot of our cherry tomatoes, but when I run out of room in the freezer, I broil them with fresh herbs and top them with cheese. Then I sit back and watch as my kids make a cookie sheet full of cherry tomatoes disappear.
This recipe is inspired by Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes.
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ~1/4 cup grated cheese (optional)
- Set your oven heat to broil.
- While your oven is heating up, slice tomatoes in half and place on a baking sheet, cut side up.
- Mix oil and spices together in a small bowl. Brush each tomato with a dab of the mixture.
- Broil for 6 minutes.
- Remove and top each tomato with a bit of cheese. Broil for one more minute.
How do you like to prepare your cherry tomatoes?
For more ideas on how to cook up your excess tomatoes, visit $5 Dollar Dinners.