When I shared my Southwest Steak and Avocado Wraps at $5 Dinners, I lamented the fact that I didn't have my guacamole recipe published anywhere to easily share, so I was thrilled when Katie offered to share her recipe, especially since it is so similar to mine.
If you are like me and have a great Farmer’s Market nearby, you may be finding tons of great deals on Avocado’s this time of year. We love them sliced on sandwiches or burgers but my favorite thing to do with them is to make a quick and easy Guacamole. I’ve heard people say over and over how hard it was to make good homemade Guacamole but I have made it literally hundreds of times always to rave reviews. It’s super easy and trust me, you’ll have people licking the bowl with this one!
How to cut and peel an avocado: When slicing or peeling an avocado it is best to slice all the way around (seed will be hard in center) and the pull two sides apart. Then you can use a spoon to pop the seed out and scoop the avocado right out of the peel without any true “peeling” involved. Good avocados will be slightly soft but not mushy. Avocado’s like many other fruits do discolor easily but that does not mean the fruit has gone bad.
- 3 Ripe Avocado’s
- 2 Roma Tomatoes or 1 medium slicing tomato - chopped
- 4 Green Onions - chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Roasted Garlic (I like to slightly brown it in a small skillet with just a dash of olive oil to mellow the flavor slightly)
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1-2 Tablespoons Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In medium bowl mash avocado until only small chunks remain.
- Mix in chopped onion, tomato, roasted garlic and cumin.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of lime juice and taste. Some people prefer to have a little stronger lime flavor if so you can add an additional tablespoon of lime.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (generally around ½-1 teaspoon) taste again and then chill until time to serve.
More Avocado Recipes:
- Avocado Pasta with Chicken
- Quinoa and Avocado Salad
- Broccoli and Bean Salad with Tomatoes and Avocado
Katie is the owner of You Brew My Tea. A place where love and the mysteries of life meet a frugal mom with a big opinion about everything!