Tortilla shells are a delicious and inexpensive way to stretch your food budget. Here are 6 ways a $1 pack of tortilla shells can be used in every meal.
Tortilla shells are quite inexpensive and can often be found for about a buck per package. You might think that tortilla shells are only good for tacos or burritos, but the truth is they are good for so much more! Tortilla shells can easily be used to stretch your food budget, especially if you get creative with them. Take a look below at How a $1 Pack of Tortilla Shells Can Be Used in Every Meal and make your grocery dollar go further.
How a $1 Pack of Tortilla Shells Can Be Used in Every Meal
1. Make your own chips. Cut the tortilla shells into triangles (a pizza cutter works great for this) and drop them into hot oil and remove when crispy. You can also lay them on a baking sheet and bake them. Both methods will crisp up the shells and make them perfect for dipping or making nachos with.
2. Try sandwich wraps. Use tortilla shells in place of bread. They make excellent sandwich wraps when you add meat, cheese, and veggies. Or, you can even fill them with chicken or tuna salad for a quick and easy lunch that is also healthy for you. For kids, try making a peanut butter and jelly wrap, or a peanut butter and banana wrap.
3. Make breakfast burritos. Stuff shells with scrambled eggs, chopped veggies, and chopped ham or bacon to make your own breakfast burritos. These can even be prepared, frozen, and saved for later for a tasty and budget friendly breakfast. Add a little salsa and sour cream for a final and tasty touch!
4. Use them as salad bowls. Spread a light layer of butter or oil on the shell and heat it in a pan until crispy. Remove and gently bend to fit the inside of a bowl. Fill with salad items of your choice. This is a simple way to make an edible salad bowl that is functional and tastes great. Even kids will love this idea.
5. Make salad and soup toppings. Season tortilla shells with some butter and seasonings and bake until crispy. Cut into chunks or strips and they make excellent soup and salad toppings. This is an easy way to add flavor and crunch to your meal as the tortilla shells will act as a crouton. So easy and yummy!
6. Make a quick and easy dessert. Bake or fry some tortilla shells and top with ice cream or brown sugar and cinnamon. They have an elephant ear flavor when prepared this way and can add an extra element to your dessert! You can also try spreading some Nutella on a tortilla shell and eating it as a healthy late night snack that is also budget friendly.
Are you ready to see how tortilla shells can stretch your budget? Give these tips for using tortilla shells a try and see how they can help fill your place while cutting down your grocery costs