Are you getting the most out of your slow cooker? These slow cooker hacks include simple tips and tricks for using a slow cooker for delicious meals and more!
If you have a slow cooker, you already know how great it is for cooking soups, stews, and of course roasts and ribs; not just easily, but frugally too! But did you know your slow cooker can do so much more than just cook a roast? You will be amazed when you see what secret powers your slow cooker has, and these slow cooker hacks below are just waiting to be unleashed. Give these slow cooker hacks and other Tips and Tricks for Using a Slow Cooker a try so you can make the most of this kitchen staple!
Slow Cooker Hacks: Tips and Tricks for Using a Slow Cooker
1. Keep those buns warm. Those hot dog and hamburger buns that is! Your crock pot is perfect for keeping buns warm whether you are setting up a hot dog or hamburger bar. You can wrap them in foil and place them in the crock pot on the keep warm setting for best results.
2. Reduce clean-up time with a slow cooker liner. Grab a package of slow cooker liners whenever making a meal that requires a sticky sauce. This will make clean up so much easier and hassle free. A liner also comes in handy when taking a meal to a potluck, so you can easily clean up and take home an empty and clean slow cooker.
3. Too runny? Lift the lid. Is your dish looking too watery or runny? Then lift the lid. Lifting the lid of the slow cooker can help remove some of the steam and moisture in the cooker, which can help the sauce thicken up. If your dish is just right, avoid lifting the lid unless you need to add ingredients.
4. Remove stains with vinegar. If your slow cooker has streaks and stains on it, try some warm water and vinegar. Just a little splash can help remove stains and leave a streak free shine. Proper cleaning and care of the slow cooker is vital so you can get the most use out of it!
5. Make slow cooker potpourri. Want to make the house smell amazing? Fill the slow cooker with water and add apple and orange slices, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and pumpkin spice. Heat the mixture on low and in no time it will fill the house with amazing aroma.
6. Don’t rush the dried goods.
If you are adding noodles or rice to a dish, don’t rush it. You don’t want to add your rice and noodle products until the end of the cooking process, otherwise they will get sticky and mushy. Neither rice or noodles take long in a slow cooker, so adding them in the last 15-20 minutes should be sufficient.
7. Choose fatty cuts of meat. The fattier the cut of meat, the better it will do in the slow cooker. Slow cooking is best when fatty cuts are used, and you will find these cuts to not only offer the best flavor but will create wonderful drippings that can be used as gravy.
8. Create your own slow cooker separator. Make a wall out of a piece of tin foil. Line the inside of the slow cooker with a liner, then slide the wall down the middle. This way, you can add two different dishes (for example two different sauces or dips) and use the slow cooker as a server. The divider will keep the two sauces or dips separate while also keeping them warm.
Are you ready to make the most of your slow cooker? Give these slow cooker hack, tips, and tricks a try for yourself!