Last month my son’s geography class was studying Massachusetts and the teacher was planning on serving Boston Cream Pie. I bring a gluten-free version of whatever she serves, so my son is not left out. However, I had never made a Boston Cream Pie before. I hadn’t even ever tasted a Boston Cream Pie before, so I turned to a trusted friend and adapted Betty Crocker’s Boston Cream Pie recipe to make it gluten-free.
The Gluten-Free Boston Cream Pie recipe turned out to be quite easy to make, but it must be made in several steps and time is required for cooling in between the steps.
Printable Recipe for Gluten-Free Boston Cream Pie
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ½ teaspoon guar gum
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons gf vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 2 egg yolks
- 1½ cups milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons gf vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- ¼ cup+ water (or milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¼ - 1½ cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl combine white rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, guar gum, and sugar.
- Separate the eggs. Reserve the egg yolks for making the cream.
- Beat the egg whites with a fork.
- Add milk and melted butter.
- Add the liquids to the flour mixture and beat for 2 –3 minutes on high.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch cake pan. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, make the cream.
- Place the egg yolks, milk, sugar, and gf vanilla in a medium sauce pan.
- Cook over a medium-high flame stirring constantly. Once the mixture befins to boil, lower temperature and simmer for a minute or until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Place the cream and the cake in the refrigerator to cool for up to 2 hours.
- Once both the cake and cream are cooled, make the chocolate icing.
- Melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate.
- Add water, vanilla, and powdered sugar and blend on high until the icing reaches the desired consistency. Add more water or powdered sugar if necessary.
- Cut cake in half using a bread knife.
- Spread cream on bottom portion of cake. Place top piece of cake on top of cream.
- Drizzle icing over the top.
- Keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve.
Our family found a new favorite dessert and have requested it several times in since I first made it.
More Gluten-Free Cake Recipes:
- Gluten-Free Cola Cake
- Gluten-Free Vanilla Cake
- Gluten-Free Hummingbird Bundt Cake
- Gluten-Free German Chocolate Cake with Dairy-Free Topping