Doughnuts are one of our favorite treats. After I made a Cookies and Cream Bundt Cake, I told my kids that I was thinking of making Cookies and Cream doughnuts because they are just like mini-bundt cakes. They were fully on board with the idea.
I used Pamela's Extreme Chocolate Mini Cookies in this recipe rather than an oreo type cookie. If you use a chocolate cookie sandwich, I recommend just using the outer cookie. Including the filling would make these doughnuts too sweet.
This recipe can easily be made dairy-free as well as gluten-free, though I feel a little bit guilty about keeping the “cream” in the title when I do.
I like making doughnuts in my Sunbeam Donut Maker because the doughnuts cooked with the donut maker are prettier and cook faster. I also made these in my Norpro Donut Pans. The doughnuts cooked in donut pans were lighter and fluffier, with more of a muffin consistency to the final product. I have included directions for both cooking methods.
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup softened butter (I used coconut oil)
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon milk (I used almond milk)
- ½ cup chocolate cookies, crushed
- If using the oven preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease doughnut pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix flours, potato starch, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add egg, milk, butter or oil and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed just until mixed. Mix in cookie crumbs by hand.
- Fill the donut pans ⅔ full. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes or until tops are brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Place the donut pans on cooling rack and let the doughnuts cool in the pans.
- Once the doughnuts are cool, spoon glaze over them.
Cookies and Cream Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoon milk (I used Vanilla flavored almond milk to make this dairy free)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup crushed chocolate cookies
Add sugar, milk, and vanilla to a small bowl. Mix well to ensure sugar is completely dissolved.
Add crushed cookies and stir until just mixed.
Place wax paper or baking sheet beneath cooling rack. Spoon glaze over doughnuts.