Cleaning is a chore many of us hate. It can be expensive and very time consuming. Did you know that you could be wasting time and money where you don’t need to? Below are 10 tips to help you clean faster and cheaper.
10 Cleaning Tips to Help Save Time and Money
1. Start with the messiest/dirtiest room in the house. This is often the bathroom. The trick to cleaning any room quicker is to have a strategy. Start from top to bottom and work your way down. This way, you are not making places you already cleaned messy again as you go about your routine.
2. Don’t over-buy cleaning products. You don’t need all the special products for this surface and that surface. A good all-purpose cleaner does wonders on most surfaces.
3. Make your own cleaning supplies. Simply using vinegar and water works great on surfaces, fixtures and even many types of floors. Straight vinegar works wonders on mirrors and windows. Baking soda is a great mild abrasive cleaner for everything from grout to kitchen sinks. Here are 5 easy and frugal cleaning products you can make.
4. When you get ready to start, make a habit of dusting first. This is the most tiresome of tasks, but if you do this first, you won’t be adding to your problem later.
5. Clear the clutter before you begin. It will be much easier to see what needs cleaned and you will be able to get your work done quicker without a bunch of things in your way.
6. Leave floors and carpets for last. You will be knocking dust, stray pet hairs and everything in between on them as you clean. No need to do it twice.
7. Prevent having to clean as often by making it easy for your family to clean up after themselves. This may take some time to get into the swing of things, but will be well worth the reminding. Some simple ways you can make it easier:
- Place several hampers around the house where laundry accumulates.
- Have a catch all for things like hats, gloves and shoes near the door.
- Have plenty of hooks and coat racks.
8. Find out if there is a janitorial supply store near you and ask if they sell to the general public. The cleaners there are concentrated and sold at wholesale, not retail, prices. Also, consider signing up for Amazon Prime and enjoy free shipping and deep discounts on subscriptions to household supplies. You will save money this way, as well as time, because you won’t be heading to the store to buy your supplies.
9. Save time scrubbing mildew and mold by not using straight bleach Instead use a 1:10 ration with water. It can be more effective for certain types of mold, surprisingly. If you prefer not to use bleach at all, try straight vinegar.
10. Don’t spend too much time deep cleaning. In all reality, deep cleaning chores like cleaning the oven don’t need to be done weekly and you can prevent having to do some of them at all if you just clean as you go throughout the day. Spill something in the microwave? Wipe it out right away and you will never have to devote 20 minutes to deep cleaning it.
More Homemade Cleaners:
- Homemade Carpet Cleaners and Stain Removers
- Frugal Eco-Friendly Homemade Soaps and Cleaners
- Homemade Soft Scrub
- Laundry Tips
- DIY Furniture Polish
- 5 Easy DIY Cleaning Products
- Reusable Disinfecting Wipes
- Homemade glass cleaning Wipes
- Frugal Paperless Window Cleaning
This post has been shared with Follow Our Thrift.
Leave a Reply