Sometimes it is the small changes that can make a big difference. Here are 10 simple changes to help you lose weight.
If you’re trying to lose weight, but aren’t sure where to start? Or perhaps you’re a bit overwhelmed with the amount of effort it takes to lose the weight. Either way, I’ve compiled a short list of things you can try right now – small changes to make, so you can lose weight!
10 Simple Changes to Help You Lose Weight
- Eat breakfast. I know, I know, you’ve heard it a million times – but hear me out. If you eat a high protein breakfast (about 300 calories), you won’t be as hungry at lunch time. Not being as hungry at lunch time means making better food choices at lunch, and at dinner! Start your day off on the right foot and it’s so much easier to keep it going.
- Get rid of temptation. Clean your pantry out. Right now. No, don’t clean it out by eating all the bad stuff – clean it out by getting rid of the unhealthy temptations you may have lurking in you cabinets. I’m talking Pop Tarts, potato chips, and pretty much anything with chocolate (more on that later).
- Pile on the veggies. You don’t have to give meat up completely, but adding lots and lots of veggies to your meals will fill you up faster. If you’re full, you’ll have less room for unhealthy desserts.
- Take five minutes for exercise. Five minutes might not seem like a lot, but it’s a good start. Take five minutes in the morning, and a few more times throughout the day, to squeeze in short bursts of intense exercise. Try squats, lunges, jumping jacks, or even jumping rope. Get your heart rate up, and eventually five minutes will turn into ten without even realizing it!
- Try something new. Whether it’s a new food, or a new dance class, making one new healthy choice a week makes your weight loss happen so much faster!
- Stop eating after 7PM. Okay, so if you go to bed a lot later (or a lot earlier), you might need to change this time, but basically you should stop eating at least 4 hours before you go to sleep for the evening. Imagine how many calories you will save yourself when you nix nighttime eating!
- Don’t deprive yourself. If you love chocolate, then have a piece or two – but don’t keep it around the house or it’s going to be constant temptation. Make it difficult to get your favorite unhealthy snacks, but if you deprive yourself you will just eat way too much of it at one time. Moderation is key, but learning moderation can be difficult.
- Give up meat. I know I said that you didn’t have to give up meat, but giving it up just a few nights a week will help you have more energy – and will save some calories!
- Drink water. Drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day. If you weigh 200 pounds, try to get 100 ounces in! Don’t like plain water? Add lemon or cucumber!
- Stop dieting! This is so important. How many times have you started a diet, only to fail? It happens – every. single. time. So why not just give up diets completely? You hear “lifestyle change” for a reason – it’s the truth. Small changes = big weight loss.
- Add flaxseed to your food. Not only does flaxseed help fill you up, it has added health benefits as well! Also, it doesn’t really have a taste so if you add it to your veggie burger mix, you won’t even notice.
- Watch your carbs! Low carb diets aren’t necessary, but it’s so easy to eat way too many carbs. Watch your carb intake by tracking on a site like MyFitnessPal.
Simple changes add up quickly without being overwhelming. Try these and let me know what you think!
What are your best weight loss tips?
Sadie is sharing her weight loss journey on her blog Slap Dash Mom.