Have you heard the buzz about capsule wardrobes? Capsule wardrobes are a great way to simplify and streamline your closet and therefore your wardrobe choices, which not only saves you space but time and money as well! Creating a capsule wardrobe doesn't have to be complicated or pricey. In fact, you just need to keep a few simple tips in mind. If you are curious about creating a capsule wardrobe for yourself, here are 7 Tips for Creating a Capsule Wardrobe get you started!
7 Tips for Creating a Capsule Wardrobe
1. Keep it to 30 items at most. When creating your capsule wardrobe, you want to remember that simplicity is key. Most designers and organizers would tell you that 25-30 pieces is perfect. This would include pants and shorts, shirts, sweaters, skirts, and shoes. As you build your capsule wardrobe, you will find multiple ways to use these pieces and maximize them!
2. Focus on neutrals. Because these 30 pieces will be mixed and matched, you want to be sure you focus on neutrals. This would include black, brown, tan, khaki, white, and navy. This doesn't mean things need to get boring! If you opt for prints, be sure they are prints/colors that compliment the neutrals you selected.
3. Shop for the season. Your capsule wardrobe should last you for the season. So, when buying your 30 pieces you will want them to be suitable for the season at hand whether it be winter, spring, summer, or fall. Remember the season when choosing items, so you get shorts, jackets, scarves, etc. as needed. Do not invest in items that are not suitable for the season at hand.
4. Be top heavy. What does this mean exactly? When creating your capsule wardrobe you can invest in more tops than pants, shorts, and skirts. The reason being is that bottoms can be worn more often without feeling like you are “repeating” them. Therefore invest in more tops, sweaters, and jackets than bottoms since you will be rotating those more.
5. Find inspiration on Pinterest. There are thousands of “cheat sheets” on Pinterest to help you develop your capsule wardrobe. Do a search for capsule wardrobes and look for a style you like. You can then find pieces to match the examples or use the examples to shape your style. You can even find examples that have been developed using clothing from specific clothing lines!
6. Think “day to night.” When developing your wardrobe, think about how simple additions can take an outfit from day to night. A sundress with sandals may be perfect for a casual lunch, but add a jacket and some heels and it is perfect for date night. Think about how simple changes can change the feel of an outfit and help you get more wear out of it. You will see this as the overall theme of capsule wardrobes!
7. Choose quality pieces and fabrics. Your capsule pieces will be mixed and matched in many ways, so you want to be sure they can stand up to the wear. Choose quality pieces and quality fabrics so that the pieces last and you can get an entire season out of them. This is especially important with bottoms such as pants/skirts since you will be wearing these twice as much as your tops.
Are you ready to start assembling your own capsule wardrobe and start saving some time and money? Give these tips for assembling your own capsule wardrobe a try!