This April cleaning checklist will help you get ready for Easter, tax season, and warm weather!
April showers bring May flowers; April also happens to bring tax season, planting season, and a warmer weather! Since you are going to be in the office finishing up last minute tax stuff, we are going to turn a lot of our focus there in the April cleaning checklist. We will touch base in a few other important areas of the home and outdoors as well to get ready for the spring into summer phase.
April Cleaning Checklist
First things first let’s give a little bit of time to Easter cleaning – it’s right around the corner!
1. Sort last year's Easter decor – Treat yourself to a new piece of decor. That cute little bunny doorstop you have had your eye on at Target or a new dish towels for the kitchen.
2. Toss out broken eggs, baskets, and other items – While you are decorating now is a great time to purge old Easter decorations and broken Easter eggs.
Now let's move on to the office.
3. File any stray receipts from last year with current tax paperwork – While you are working on taxes be sure you have all receipts and other paperwork together in an accessible place so you have accurate records.
4. File receipts for the current year – Stay ahead of the paper game and file them by month, or whatever category suits you.
5. Toss file folders and hanging files – While I am all for being frugal, making do, and using it up, folders that are worn past usefulness should be tossed and replaced.
6. Throw away junk mail – Throw away expired coupons, savings cards, and paid bills. Consider switching to paperless options if you can to cut down clutter and paper waste (this will make for less work next year!)
7. Go through pens and pencils – Toss whatever is no longer usable, and add them to your shopping list if you need to replenish.
8. Remove everything from your desk and polish it thoroughly – Give your desk a good cleaning from top to bottom with polish. Try THIS fresh spring scented wood polish.
9. Update your virus protection – While you're at it, back up to an external hard drive and purge some photos and documents off your hard drive to clean it up.
10. Dust hard drive – Give the printer, keyboard, and other devices a good dusting and clear dust from your computer with compressed air to keep them in top working shape.
Here are a few of my favorite office cleaning products:
Give pet areas some attention as well.
11. Wash all pet bedding in hot water, replace if needed – Fleas and ticks will be in full swing shortly, so keep your pets spaces clean to help cut down on the pests.
12. Purge overly worn pet toys – Sanitize the rest in a sink full of soap or a non-toxic disinfectant. Rinse well before giving back to your pets.
Hit a few other spots around the house.
13. Descale the coffee maker – Run vinegar through your coffee maker a couple of times, then be sure to rinse well by running it several times with distilled water.
14. Sanitize the dishwasher – Run an empty load with baking soda and then one vinegar to clean, freshen, and sanitize your dishwasher.
15. Check freezer contents – Toss out of date items. Defrost and reorganize as you fill it back up.
16. Change AC/heat filters – Schedule maintenance before summer, you don’t want to be without working air in the hot season.
17. Check caulk in the bathroom – Look over the sink, tub, and shower for worn or damaged caulk. Redo the caulking where needed.
18. Swap out heavy bedding for lighter blankets – It’s finally time to change out those heavy quilts for lighter spring weights and designs. Launder the winter ones and store them away for next year. Don’t forget to add some DIY Moth Repellant Bags.
19. Replace mats at the front doors if needed – Put sturdy mud cleaning mats in a pretty spring color out at the front door.
Get the yard ready for Spring!
20. Check sprinklers – Replace any broken heads and make any needed adjustments
21. Wash windows outside thoroughly – Let that sunshine in! Grab these window cleaners to make it super easy.
22. Clean out gutters and downspouts – Do it yourself or hire it out.
Printable April Cleaning Checklist
You can print out a copy of the April Cleaning Checklist here and put it on your refrigerator to check off the items as you take care of them.
More Spring Cleaning Tips