With Summer Vacation planning already started some of us have to make that decision of taking our pets with us or boarding them while we are out of town. If you are like many and consider your pets a part of your family it is a hard thing to leave them behind while traveling. Here are great tips for traveling with pets that are sure to help take the stress away from going on vacation and taking your pets along with you this year.
Tips for Traveling with Pets
- Find Pet Friendly Accommodations. While it may seem like most hotels and motels wouldn’t have a problem with you bringing your pets along for the trip it is actually much harder to find than you would think. Make sure when searching for the best deals for your trip to look for those with an okay to pets policy.
- Map Out Pet “Pit Stops”. If you have kids you know how often you will need to stop for potty breaks but don’t forget that your pets will need those too and won’t be able to voice to you as easily that they need a bathroom break. When traveling by car map out spots along the way that will be good places for you to stop, let your pets walk and use the bathroom as needed.
- Pack Extra Puppy Pads. Even if your dog is house trained at home, traveling and staying in different places may make them uncertain and accidents could happen. Make sure to pack not only puppy pads for in the car just in case, but also for your hotel/motel rooms along the way.
- Go For A Test Drive. If your pet doesn’t travel much other than going to the vet or local doggy park you need to take a longer test drive to determine how they will react to being in a car for extended times. Go for a 2-4 hour drive to see how they will react and if they get motion sickness, anxious or agitated.
- Take Proper Medications & Foods. If your pet requires daily or weekly medications make sure to have your prescription refilled and on hand for your vacation. Pack enough food to last your entire vacation plus a few extra days just in case there are delays. This is especially important for pets with restricted diets.
- Check Airline Requirements If Flying. Each airline has different requirements and exceptions regarding pets flying. Make sure to read all details and even call to ask any questions that aren’t clearly answered online by the individual airline.
- Crate Animals While Driving. It may not be your favorite way to travel but it is definitely the safest way to travel with pets, especially those who are not use to traveling for extended periods of time. Dogs and cats free roaming in vehicles are distractions and hazards to your ability to concentrate while driving.
- Make Sure Your Pet Has A Collar With Tag & Emergency Contact Information. Even though you will be careful make sure to always have your pet properly tagged just in case of separation. Having a good contact number that you can be reached at while traveling is very important.
- Get A Veterinarian Checkup Before Travel. Make sure that your pet is safe for travel by going to the veterinarian prior to your vacation. This is especially necessary for pets with medical disorders or those who get motion sickness or anxiety and may need prescription medication for comfort on the road.
- Pack Toys & Blankets From Home. If your pet has a blanket, pillow or bed that is their special place at home make sure to pack that for the vacation as well. Smells from home and comfort items will help ease their mind and make travel feel safer to them.
No matter where your destination may be, with proper planning and a few simple steps you can have a successful vacation including your pets this year. Follow our guide on how to easily travel with pets as well as checking with your veterinarian for tips to ensure you have a safe and fun vacation – pets included.
More Travel Tips
- 7 Tips for Road Trips with Kids
- Tips for Traveling with Teens and Tweens
- 5 Tips for Traveling with Children
- Vacations for Kids of Varying Ages and Interests
Katie is the owner of You Brew My Tea. A place where love and the mysteries of life meet a frugal mom with a big opinion about everything!