If you have been to the dollar store lately, you may have seen the many solar lights available to you for just a buck. And while these look great lined up on your patio or in a flower bed, they can also be used indoors too! These can make excellent night lights for kids, and for just a buck they are a budget friendly option, too. Take a look below at this easy Solar Nightlight Craft for Kids so you can dress up those dollar store solar lights into something fun and functional.
Solar Nightlight Craft for Kids
- solar light
- washi tape in choice of colors and designs
As mentioned, we found everything we needed at our local dollar store. This included the washi tape that comes in a wide variety of fabric options. Remember, your solar light will be coming in at night so you don't need to worry about using a fabric option.
- Begin by wrapping the top of the solar light. Start wrapping around the top being careful not to cover the top where the light needs to enter and charge the light.
- Continue wrapping and cutting the washi tape so you have clean edges.
- Once you have the top decorated you can start working on the base. We did alternating rows of washi tape, cutting off the excess and working our way down to the bottom. Cover the base of your own as you wish so it reflects your tastes.
- You can now place the solar light into the ground where it will get 8-12 hours of sunlight. The longer you leave it in the sun, the longer it will last at night. Keep it away from sprinklers or where kids play to avoid any moisture or damage.
- You can bring the solar light in at night when it is time for bed. As you can see it will now glow in the dark for hours. This gives kids a safe and electricity free light option that is safe enough for them to sleep with and hold in their hands. They can even use it when they walk to the bathroom at night.
This Solar Nightlight Craft for Kids is so simple and budget friendly. Gather your supplies and give it a try! Your child is sure to love having their own portable nightlight at night just as much as they will love creating it.