This is my favorite remedy for a cold. A bowl of soup, a cup of tea, and a good book makes a cold almost tolerable, almost.
This recipe comes together quickly when you use leftover chicken and rice. Chicken and Rice Soup is frugal, but I saved even more by using Homemade Chicken Broth.
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- ⅓ medium onion, finely chopped
- dash pepper
- dash garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon basil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut up in bite size pieces
- 2 cups cooked rice
- In a large pot, add broth, carrots, celery, onion and spices; cook over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken and rice. Bring back to a boil to ensure rice and chicken pieces are hot. Serve immediately.
My favorite snack when I am unwell is popcorn and orange juice. Do you have any comfort foods that you turn to when you are unwell? I am going to climb back in bed with my cup of tea and finish reading Marley and Me.
More Soup Recipes:
- Spicy Lentil Soup
- Tuscan Turkey Soup
- Beef Stew with Cabbage
- Asian Chicken and Rice Soup
- Minestrone Soup with Quinoa Pasta