This chicken and rice soup recipe comes together quickly by using leftover chicken and rice.
This is my favorite remedy for a cold. A bowl of soup, a cup of tea, and a good book makes a cold almost tolerable, almost.
This recipe comes together quickly when you use leftover chicken and rice. Chicken and Rice Soup is frugal, but I saved even more by using Homemade Chicken Broth.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon parsley (optional)
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut up into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Saute celery and onion in olive oil until the onion is translucent.
- Add the broth, carrots, and spices to the pot. Cook over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, cover the pot, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and rice. Bring back to a boil to ensure rice and chicken pieces are heated through.
My favorite snack when I am unwell is popcorn and orange juice. Do you have any comfort foods that you turn to when you are unwell? I am going to climb back in bed with my cup of tea and finish reading Marley and Me.