My husband insists on cooking with egg whites whenever he makes breakfast. There is absolutely no way I can convince him to use whole eggs, believe me I have tried! He insists he “can taste the yolk”. The funny thing is when I bake, I always use whole eggs and he has never complained that he can taste the yolk. I have decided that my creations must be more flavorful than his.
He even enjoys the puddings that I make with his leftover egg yolks. I have quit trying to make sense of his taste buds. Instead I have him set aside the egg yolks whenever he makes breakfast and then I make pudding with them.
This chocolate pudding recipe is naturally gluten-free. You can make it dairy-free by using Silk Vanilla Almondmilk in place of the milk in the recipe. I also use Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa when making chocolate pudding because Rodelle’s cocoa powder has a deeper, richer flavor than other cocoas and helps hide the flavor of the egg yolks from my husband.
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½ cups milk (or Silk Vanilla Almondmilk)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the sugar, cocoa, and corn starch. Using a whisk, slowly add the milk (or Vanilla Almondmilk), blending it together until the corn starch is dissolved.
- Add the egg yolks and whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Place pan over a medium flame, and whisking continuously, cook until it just begins to bubble.
- Lower flame to low and cook for one more minute, whisking continuously.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. (If for some reason, your pudding has become lumpy while cooking, you can pour it through a sieve and into the bowl. If I whisk it the whole time I am cooking it, my pudding rarely turns out lumpy.)
- Pour the pudding into a bowl. Place plastic wrap right on top of the surface of the pudding, smoothing out any air bubbles. This will prevent the pudding from forming a skin.
- Chill for at least 3 hours. Whisk again if you notice any lumps before serving.
More Pudding Recipes:
Chocolate Pudding (Egg-Free Recipe)