There is absolutely no reason to buy gravy. Ever. Homemade gravy is not only out-of-this-world delicious, it is easy to make. For some reason, people have heard stories of lumpy gravy and have the impression that it is difficult to make a smooth, lump-free gravy. This is not the case. You can easily make a smooth turkey gravy for your Thanksgiving dinner in less than 5 minutes.
First start by pouring your turkey drippings through a strainer or slotted spoon. It isn't essential that you catch everything. Removing the largest chunks will go a long ways towards helping you create a smooth gravy.
Next grab a whisk.
For every cup of drippings you add to the pot, you need to add a tablespoon of cornstarch. Use your whisk to blend the ingredients. Place your pot over a medium-high flame. Keep whisking until it reaches a boil. Lower the flame and allow it to simmer until it thickens, gently whisking the entire time.
I know it seems like a lot of whisking, but it is really only 3 – 4 minutes total. And it is worth it! Get ready to taste gravy like you have never tasted out of a jar.
What to do if you don't have enough drippings to fill a cup? Add chicken broth or vegetable broth to the bottom of the pan and use your whisk to reconstitute the drippings.
Bonus, this recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free.
- 1 cup turkey drippings
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pour the turkey drippings through a strainer or slotted spoon.
- Add to the drippings to a small pot.
- Add a tablespoon of cornstarch to the drippings.
- Use a whisk to blend the ingredients.
- Place your pot over a medium-high flame. Keep whisking until it reaches a boil. Lower the flame and allow it to simmer until it thickens, whisking the entire time.