After making my Cilantro-Lime Chicken Casserole, I wondered if there was a way to make it with fewer dishes, especially since I didn’t have any leftover rice and had to cook rice as well. Then I remembered I had an oven safe skillet with a lid, so I decided to cook the dish entirely in that pan. Though I did cheat and boil chicken broth in the microwave using a pyrex measuring cup, so this can’t really be called a one-dish recipe.
I decided to change the seasoning and some of the vegetables, so it tastes like a different dish, but it is very similar – only easier! I was pleased with the consistency of the baked rice and the fact that I didn’t have to wash an extra pan.
Do you see a theme emerging? Yep, I don’t really enjoy washing dishes and it seems like I am washing dishes or wiping counters all.day.long! I have found that music helps, so I often have my iPod playing upbeat music while I clean.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt (how to make seasoned salt)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked Basmati rice
- 1¾ cup chicken broth (how to make chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- ½ cup diced onions
- ¼ sweet peppers
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add oil to an oven-safe pan with a lid. Place chicken thighs in pan and sprinkle with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Brown chicken on both sides.
- While the chicken is browning, place the broth in a glass bowl and microwave until it reaches a boil.
- Remove chicken from pan. (I like to place it the upturned lid, so I don't dirty another dish).
- Place rice, chicken broth, oregano, basil, and thyme in pan. Stir to combine. Add tomatoes, carrots, green beans, celery, onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables. Cover with lid and bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
I think I will be experimenting with more one dish dinners in the future. I served the Italian Chicken and Rice Casserole with a garden salad.
This recipe is linked to Foodie Friday.