This quick and easy garlic and rosemary red potatoes recipe is made on the stovetop instead of in the oven.
I was craving potatoes the other day, but I wasn’t sure I had enough time to make them with our dinner. So instead of baking potatoes or roasting them, I decided to boil quartered red potatoes until they were cooked through. Then drain the potatoes and saute them in oil with garlic, rosemary and green onions. This created red potatoes with a bold flavor in a fraction of the time it would have taken them to cook in the oven.
I like to crush rosemary with a mortar and pestle to release more of the flavor and to make the needle-like leaves more pleasant to eat.
Garlic and Rosemary Red Potatoes Recipe
You can scroll to the bottom to find a printable recipe card.
- red potatoes – don’t peel them, just wash and then quarter the potatoes
- olive oil
- green onions, thinly sliced. Use the green tops too.
- garlic cloves, minced
- dried parsley
- dried rosemary, crushed
- dried basil
- coarse ground pepper
- Place the quartered potatoes in a pot of water. Cook over a medium-high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat slightly so it doesn’t boil over and keep at a low rolling boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 12 – 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes.
- While the potatoes are draining, put the pot back on the stovetop. Then add the oil, onion, and garlic to the pot. Saute over a medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked potatoes and spices. Toss until thoroughly coated and cook over a medium-high heat for another 3 minutes.
Printable Recipe for Garlic and Rosemary Red Potatoes
Garlic and Rosemary Red Potatoes
- 2½ - 3 pounds red potatoes washed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1½ teaspoon rosemary crushed
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Place quartered potatoes in a pot of water. Cook over a medium-high flame until it comes to a boil.
- Lower the flame slightly so it doesn't boil over and keep at a low rolling boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, approximately 12 - 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes.
- Add oil, onion, and garlic to the pot. Saute over a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add potatoes and spices. Toss until thoroughly coated and cook over a medium-high flame for another 3 minutes.
More Potato Recipes