On Christmas morning, I decided to use our leftover Honey Glazed Ham to make a fast and easy Ham and Broccoli Frittata. When my daughter saw what I was going to do, she said, “You can't use broccoli, broccoli isn't a breakfast food”. When I asked her what I should use instead she said Brussels Sprouts. Seriously? On what planet do kids say, “Broccoli isn't a breakfast food … I want Brussels Sprouts”?!?
Yes, I've made a doctor's appointment; something is obviously wrong! 🙂
Since it was Christmas morning I made a frittata with Brussels sprouts, and the whole family enjoyed it. But on the 26th, I made my Ham and Broccoli Frittata. My daughter loved it and conceded that under the right conditions, broccoli could be a breakfast food.
I love making frittatas; they are fast, easy, and oh, so delicious! I can use leftovers from the night before, which cuts down on prep time. Although they transfer from the stove top to broiler, they only require one pan, which reduces clean up. But here is the coolest part, because they remind people of a quiche, you get the “wow factor” without the work.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup onions
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1 cup diced ham
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt (How to make Seasoned Salt)
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Add olive oil, onion and broccoli to a 10” oven safe frying pan.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 4 -5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add ham and cook for an additional 2 -3 minutes or until heated through.
- Add eggs to a small bowl and beat with a fork. Add cheese, garlic powder, parsley, seasoned salt, and pepper to eggs. Mix well.
- Pour the eggs over the vegetable mixture. Cook over medium-low heat until eggs are almost set, approximately 4 – 5 minutes.
- Place frying pan 4 –6 inches beneath the broiler. Broil for 2 –4 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through and beginning to brown.
If you would prefer, you can substitute thinly sliced Brussels sprouts for the broccoli.