Use these directions on how to make applesauce in a pressure cooker to make a large batch of applesauce without added sugar.
We have 2 apple trees so I have a lot of apples to process each fall and not a lot of time to do it. To speed up the process of making homemade applesauce, I cook the apples in my pressure cooker. This greatly reduces the cooking time allowing me to make multiple batches of applesauce in one afternoon.
This applesauce recipe is made without using sugar. Instead ,I use apple juice concentrate to naturally sweeten the applesauce. I also add spices to my applesauce.
I do not peel the apples. I just removed the stem, seeds, and then coarsely chop the apples before placing them in the pressure cooker. The apple peels will be finely chopped up when I blend the mixture after it is done cooking and no one will know that I left the peels on, but you can peel your apples if you wish too.
Printable Recipe for Pressure Cooker Applesauce
- 32 small green apples, quartered and cored*
- 1 can apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- Put the quartered apples in the pressure cooker (do not fill beyond the fill line of your pressure cooker).
- Pour concentrate over the apples. Add spices. Lock the lid in place. Cook over high heat until it reaches high pressure.
- As soon as it reaches high pressure, remove the pressure cooker from the heat.
- Allow the pressure to drop naturally.
- When the pressure has been released, you can safely remove the lid. And you will find super soft, mushy apples.
- Use an immersion blender or ladle the apples into a blender and blend a couple of cups at a time.
- After blending, pour the contents into a large bowl. After all of the blended apples have been poured into the bowl, stir well to ensure the spices are evenly distributed.
The first batch of the season is always consumed in a couple of days. I can the later batches using the water bath method. Since we have 2 apple trees, we enjoy applesauce all winter long.
More Pressure Cooker Recipes:
How to Make Pear Sauce in a Pressure Cooker
How to Cook Rice in a Pressure Cooker
How to Cook Beans in a Pressure Cooker
How to Cook Corned Beef in a Pressure Cooker
Jo Dawn says
How much is 32 small apples, weight wise? I don’t have access to small or green apples, but would like to try this. Can you give me an estimate so I can try this recipe.
Have you ever made some juice in your pressure cooker? Does it work, thinking of trying it. I didn’t know if it would cook it too fast and not draw out the juice
Alea Milham says
I have never tried making juice in a pressure cooker.