My oldest son loves chocolate chip cookie dough ice-cream, but when we learned that he couldn’t have gluten or dairy, he had to give it up, as well as many of his other favorite treats. He rarely complains about all the foods he has had to give up,but I know he misses them. So I am always trying to find ways to make gluten-free, dairy-free desserts that he will love. I totally scored a hit with these brownies. My Gluten-Free Brownies with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Frosting are now my son’s favorite brownies.
The brownies are fudgy and chewy. They actually taste great on their own, but I was not just going for delicious, I was going for sumptuous!
The frosting really does taste like chocolate chip cookie dough. The frosting doesn’t contain eggs, so unlike real cookie-dough, it is safe to eat. I think I will experiment with adding it to homemade dairy-free ice-cream this summer.
I have included substitutions, so you can make this dairy-free if you need to. I like using vanilla almond milk when creating dairy-free baked goods, but if you deal with a nut allergy, vanilla rice milk will work too.
- Brownie Ingredients:
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 1 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup oil
- 2 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- Frosting Ingredients:
- ½ cup butter, softened (or dairy-free margarine)
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup milk (or vanilla almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ potato starch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or dairy-free chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 pan.
- Heat water.
- Combine hot water and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, baking powder and sugar.
- Add oil, eggs, and vanilla to cocoa mixture. Stir to thoroughly combine.
- Add the cocoa mixture to the flour mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spread brownie batter in a greased 13 x 9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Gradually add in flour.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread over cooled brownies.