If you are going to make broth in a slow cooker, you need to be prepared to use it for dinner. If you don’t not only will your senses revolt, but so will your family. The aroma of broth cooking a in a slow cooker permeates the entire house and as my daughter says “deceptively smells like food”. So after making a batch of vegetable broth, I usually use some of it to make Minestrone Soup with Quinoa Pasta.
Making your own vegetable broth is very frugal, especially if you use veggies from your garden. It is easier to make than bone broths, because you don’t have to worry about the bones or the fat.
- 2½ – 3 onions
- 6 – 8 cloves garlic
- 6 – 8 stalks celery
- 6 – 8 carrots
- 1 large potato
- 16 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- dash of pepper
- Add the water to Slow Cooker.
- Do not peel the vegetables. Just wash them and coarsely chop them. Add them to the water.
- Add spices and pepper to taste.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Strain the broth through a fine mesh colander.
- You can use the broth immediately, place it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freeze it. If you freeze the broth, leave room for expansion.